Insomnia got you? I know your pain. So so tired but can’t fall asleep. Or worse, you fall asleep only to wake up and toss and turn the rest of the night! I know a few hacks that will help you fall asleep and stay asleep. They work better than sleeping pills and are safer.
The magic pill I’m talking about is lavender. Not your grandma’s lavender soap. I’m talking about real lavender oil. Lavender oil was prized for its hypnotic effect by the ancient Romans. Essential oil isn’t the only way to use lavender. Below are some of my favorite ways to use lavender to help me get to sleep and stay asleep.
- Lavender/vanilla pillow spray. Mix some lavender oil and vanilla in an atomizer and spritz on your pillow just before bed. The combination is heavenly!
- Burn lavender and pine incense. Lavender and pine blend together beautifully. The soft glow of a burning stick of incense. The aromatic smoke coiling up and floating in your bedroom will lull you to sleep.
- Brew yourself a cup a lavender tea! A cup of hot tea before bed is soothing and a wonderful part of a bedtime routine. Chamomile is known for its calming and relaxing qualities, but chamomile has nothing on lavender!
- Treat yourself to a piece of lavender chocolate. Lavender chocolate is not something you’re likely to find in your grocery store. I buy it at lavender festivals myself. You can find a variety of lavender chocolate on Amazon. A Google search will also lead you to several confectioners who know know how to stir lavender buds into creamy milk chocolate.
- Rub some lavender oil on the arch and sole of your feet before climbing into bed. Vick’s vapor rub on the bottom of your feet for a cold is known to help quiet a cough and relieve a congested head. Lavender essential oil on the feet is just as potent for sleep.